Friday, March 25, 2011

Boys of the Neighborhood

I can't blog about my school without recognizing the 'shababs' that venture into our back lot for a game a football (soccer). About 3:30 these boys begin playing one of the most entertaining games I've ever seen. I find myself distracted from cleaning, grading, lesson planning all the activities that keep me tied to school when I just want to put my feet up. I can't help but observe the deep friendships that these kids have with one another. Last year, one of the goalies was a boy who played from an electric wheelchair. There seemed to be no difference between him and the other boys. This year, I've noticed the same boy, slowly defending his position in the middle of the field, exercising the ability to use his legs. Our back lot is really an embarrassment of a football field, but its a world of deep friendship that I can't help enjoying watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment