Monday, August 11, 2014

Lazy Golubtsy


I've been longing to make this dish. It is a simple recipe that always gets me excited to pick up my spoon and be glad to be at a Moldovan dining table. Any Moldovan will probably chuckle at this, as it is a simple and common dish. Plus, the cost of this meal puts my American recipes to shame. 

True to its name, it is the lazy version of the cabbage rolls. I guess this is my way of working up to actually making cabbage rolls.

I used ground beef with this recipe, but you could also use chopped chicken or go without meat.




Ingredients:
meat
diced onions
chopped cabbage
grated carrots
water
rice
tomato paste
dill
bay leaf
salt
pepper


  • Sauté meat along with onion until meat in almost cooked through.
  • Add cabbage and cook until leaves are tender.
  • Add carrots and cook for a few minutes.
  • Add amount of water according to how much rice is used and bring to a boil.
  • Add rice, tomato paste, dill, bay leaf, pepper and salt. Use a good amount of salt.
  • Stir together, bring the water back to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and cook until rice is soft.
  • To complete this Moldovan dish, you need to slice of bread to go with!


*The next time I make this dish I'll use less rice and include more cabbage.



No comments:

Post a Comment